View Single Post
Old November 21, 2013, 02:00 PM   #33
zombietactics

I am honestly NOT trying to just be argumentative, but ...

Quote:
A Tactical Reload is an integrated part of my weapon manipulation skills that are common between my handgun and AR - integrated manipulation skills that include loading, unloading, reloading and clearing stoppages - all of which use common processes and movements to minimize decision-making, increase efficiency and can be performed quickly.
But - again - there is no logic in those statements beyond an un-examined "I think it's a good idea and that's the way I train". It says nothing as to why a Tactical Reload is an important skill, or why and especially speedy one is a necessary skill. Simply stating that it's "... an integrated part of my weapon manipulation skills ...", etc. says nothing about whether it's something useful or important to integrate.

Quote:
It's an option I employ when I make a decision that I want to quickly restore my weapon to full battle-readiness status. ...
If that decision is rational, it follows that a circumstance where a reload needs to be fast, is also a case where retaining the partial magazine is superfluous. Keep in mind my context is that of citizen-self-defense cases. I can see where "top offs" make perfects sense, and are necessary in a protracted military engagement.

Quote:
In any case where my weapon doesn't fire when I press the trigger I first perform tap/rack (because in the heat of battle I don't know if I've experienced a stoppage or an empty magazine and it's quicker to perform immediate actions than to diagnose the problem), then progress to a Combat Reload when time and conditions permit.
If you are at slide-lock, and are tapping/racking ... that seems off. You're concerned about practicing speedy Tactical Reloads (presumably with retention) ... but have not yet acquired the very basic skill of recognizing the feel of slide lock vs. the click or mush of a malfunction? If speed is a concern at all, you've added two steps (tapping and racking) for no benefit.

I agree that a linear-non-diagnostic progression makes far more sense for malfunctions. It appears in this case that you have applied the principle out-of-context to reloads as well. I'm not sure who teaches it the way you've described, but it's comes off odd to me. If there is something I am missing, I am certainly open to instruction.

For my part (and it took me a long, very stubbornly resistant time to get here, lol), I don't see the need for any special kind of specially-named reload, highly optimized for some special set of circumstances or another.

To me a reload is a reload ... you drop the old mag, put another one in there, rack the slide. There is almost (almost) no conceivable "reload problem" that this does not solve. The corner-case of "I shot through the mag in the gun, reloaded, shot a partial and then reloaded, shot to slide lock and now I really wish I had that partial mag" has (probably) never even once happened in a citizen-self-defense incident.

Last edited by zombietactics; November 21, 2013 at 02:44 PM.

Page generated in 0.02348 seconds with 8 queries