View Single Post
Old September 17, 2008, 06:58 PM   #4
fisherman66

No, but I will relay a story if you don't mind.

My FIL has thinned a javalina "herd" with a rifle. As he tells the story, rifle shots don't seem to bother them. If you are capable of headshot (immediate kill) the rest of the group continues to forage. As the story goes, his guide on a south Tex deer hunt had grown frustrated with the javalinas. They had a tendancy to run the deer out of a feeding area and had cost the guide some shots with customers. They were still hunting when they found a group in an oak stand. The guide lamented his irratation with the overgrown vermin and my FIL decided to offer a competition. Each person alternated shots. A headshot (ear hole actually) would allow the other person to take a shot since they simply dropped. A squealer would end the competition since the warning cry would send the others packing. The guide started the game off and easily dropped #1. FIL goes next and copies the guides performance. That repeats til only piglets and a couple adults behind some scrub oak are left. The strinking targets and skiddish nature of the juviniles finally cause a glancing hit by my FIL. A little piglet drops the the ground squealing like bloody hell. Only his rear legs were pumping and he was spinning in a circle as the decimated group grew wings and took off into the woods. The dead javalinas were given to the vaqueros that worked the ranch for the BBQ pit.

Page generated in 0.03449 seconds with 8 queries