Thread: Hunting Packs
View Single Post
Old July 14, 2006, 07:57 PM   #13
swampdog

I don't need to pack much when I hunt. I've tried "bookbag" style daypacks and many fanny packs. I've yet to find one that really works well. I've toyed with the vest idea, but there again, I haven't found one I really want.
The heaviest load in my pack is the dozen lag type steps I usually tote. I tried the pistol belt, canteen rig. With the steps in ammo pouches and the suspenders attached, this system works pretty well. It still isn't perfect.

Kelty packs were mentioned earlier. I've had one on my wish list for a couple of months now and will definitely get it before hunting season.
http://www.kelty.com/kelty/index.cfm...pe=pack&ID=235

This one looks like it might be the one.

I mostly day hunt within 1/2 a dozen miles of my truck or fairly close to my john boat. If I was taking longer hikes or overnighting, I'd definitely get a regular hiking backpack with an exterior frame. The frame makes all the difference when carrying heavy loads for long distances.

Whatever you end up with try to get something that's quite. I've wasted money a few times on packs that ended up being extremely noisey.

Best of luck this hunting season, to everyone here. Bow season opens here in 2 months. I can hardly wait.

Page generated in 0.03918 seconds with 8 queries