View Single Post
Old December 17, 2019, 03:12 PM   #64
fastbolt

Sorry to hear about the injury and surgeries to your hands. Having suffered injuries that affected my ability to shoot off and on over the years, I can empathize.

If you must change your gear to accommodate the state of any physical impairment, that's something for you to decide (consulting with doctor, etc).

That said, making 25-50+ yard shots using a DA pistol is a skill, and no different in many respects than learning and developing the skill to do so using a DA revolver.

If your existing skillset (sans effects of injuries) isn't sufficiently developed to allow you to exert proper trigger control to make 25-50+ yd DA shots, ask yourself why.

The answer may involve seeking the help of an accomplished DA revolver, or TDA pistol shooter. If you don't know what you don't know, then merely burning ammo may not achieve the desired effect. You don't want to "practice" whatever bad habits or wrong techniques and really ingrain them, do you?

Don't feel all alone, though, as a lot of pistol shooters who were never required to build their handgunning foundation skillset mastering shooting DA revolvers obviously also lack the benefits of having learned and mastered DA trigger strokes on revolvers.

I came to TDA (DA/SA) pistols the long way, myself. I grew up learning to shoot SA pistols and SA revolvers, and didn't have an interest in DA revolvers until I was 18. Then I had to really focus my attention on DA revolvers when I entered LE and was required to carry them on-duty. It was just another learning, training and practice thing.

Just about the time I was really happy with all of my revolvers, my job required that I transition over to TDA pistols.

Fortunately, my skills shooting SA pistols (1911's) and both SA & DA revolvers were able to be applied to learning to use TDA pistols. More training and practice ... and this happened just as I was assigned to learn to become a firearms instructor at my agency. This involved having to shoot that initial first DA shot at distances up to 50yds on courses-of-fire, including during night ranges in the dark (using handheld flashlight illumination to quickly ID the threat target), and there were no "throw-away" shots.

In more recent years my interest returned to snub nose revolvers, mostly meaning DAO snubs (although I still like traditional DA revolvers with exposed hammers, as well). While the emphasis on periodic training drills and quals meant DA shots at relatively close distances (ranging from 3-10yd & 3-25yd courses-of-fire), I still liked to take my DA & DAO snubs and shoot them out to 40-50yds on the steel and paper silhouettes.

While doing so the thought of encountering an "active" shooter was in the back of my mind, sure, but it was mostly to continue to assess my "basics" while shooting DA/DAO guns and make sure my skills didn't degrade by only shooting them at close range.

Now, your choice of TDA pistols is your own, of course. I always tended to prefer S&W 3rd gen and SIG Classic TDA pistols, as well as the outstanding Walther 99 design in their Anti-Stress action.

I never particularly cared for the HK USP's, myself, although I did rather fancy the trigger and grip ergo's of a HK P9S 45 I owned and carried for a while many years ago. I traded it away because parts are difficult to find (and I'm not a HK pistol armorer) and leather wasn't common. Nice pistol, though. Accurate, and with interesting (well designed) sights and an acceptable trigger.

FWIW, even if you constantly practice "dry-fire", it's probably better to make sure you're not using that opportunity to really ingrain unknowingly improper habits while doing so. Does your local range(s) have any revolver shooters or TDA pistols shooters who successfully compete, or are retired LE PPC shooters, who might be willing to give you some pointers after watching you shoot? Sometimes it might be some little things you can pick up that help give you the results you desire.

Page generated in 0.03701 seconds with 8 queries