View Single Post
Old December 15, 2019, 02:55 PM   #57
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93
Question from the (relatively inexperienced), peanut gallery.....
When the SHTF, are you going to notice whether or not the trigger is ‘smooth’ or not? Certainly at the range where each shot is slow and calculated but with a pant load of adrenaline pumping, is being familiar with gun, regardless of trigger ‘feel’, gonna work? I think so..doubt anybody will notice things like ‘recoil’ or trigger ‘smoothness’. If gun goes bang is object.
Your observation is valid.

I shoot mostly 1911s and, because my view is that any gun I own could potentially be used in a self defense situation, I tune the triggers on all them to around five pounds (which is more or less a consensus minimum trigger pull weight for a single action pistol). At the range, when concentrating on accuracy, that five pounds often feels rather "heavy." When shooting in "practical shooting" competition, it doesn't feel heavy at all, and I'm not even aware of it.

Yet, I've had occasions when I have tried out demo 1911s from "name" makers that shipped with triggers in the three to three and a half pound range. When shooting those for accuracy, because my muscles are so accustomed to my five-pound triggers, the guns with lighter triggers usually seem like they go off "before they're supposed to."

t's going to get interesting, because the range owner has been discussing starting up a bullseye league. If he does, I'll probably give it a try. In that case, I know my five-pound triggers won't cut it, so I'll have to pick a gun and tune it down to around three pounds (or less, if I can avoid hammer follow). I don't know what effect that will have on shooting the other guns.
Jeepaholic

Page generated in 0.03067 seconds with 8 queries