View Single Post
Old February 24, 2019, 01:08 PM   #9
pblanc

I meant to say that Bruce Gray recommends going no lighter than 19 lbs on a P229 used for carry or other self-defense purpose. He also recommends going no lower than 4.5 lbs for the SA trigger pull weight on an SD pistol.

I have seen posts from individuals who have set up various gizmos to precisely measure spring strength who have claimed that there is significant variation in strength even between springs that are claimed to be of exactly the same power.

I suspect that many would be OK with an 18 lb mainspring in a carry pistol so long as the owner thoroughly vetted that spring for reliability, but that might vary pistol to pistol. I personally would not consider a 17 lb spring for any P229 pistol intended for self-defense, but to each his own.

Here is a thread that may be of interest in which a quite knowledgeable individual tested the trigger pull weights on a DA/SA SIG P229 with 17, 18, and 19 lb Wolff mainsprings, and a 17 lb Grayguns mainspring. Note that the Grayguns spring actually tested one pound lighter than the 17 lb Wolff spring and one pound lighter than its rating. Also, this P229 had been modified with polishing of the internals and "fitting of the sear to the hammer", so it had essentially undergone a trigger job, although I don't believe the sear engagement angles were altered. A stock SIG P229 probably would have shown somewhat greater DA and SA trigger pull weights:

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-gunsmit...-p-series.html

Last edited by pblanc; February 24, 2019 at 02:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.02495 seconds with 8 queries