View Single Post
Old March 4, 2018, 10:59 PM   #7
Slamfire

Quote:
My 91/30 has always seemed to have a wandering zero after removing it from the stock.

At the range I am able to shift the POI up 4" at 50 yards by tightening the front action screw 1/4 turn!

How can I do some basic checks on the action/barrel/stock bedding and fit?
Every Mosin Nagant I owned, which I then bedded, shot consistently and shot round groups. I was limited by barrel quality and bullet quality.

Whatever bedding these rifles were supposed to have, they no longer have after 70-100 years of use, and a couple of rebuilds. Every Mosin, including the Finnish Mosin Nagants, the wood had compressed, if it was in the original stock, and if it was not in the original stock, the action was severely bowed.

I just routed out some wood around the front of the action and the rear tang. Coated all metal parts with Johnson paste wax, as a release agent, and poured in a good two part epoxy. I used Acura Glass gel on my Nagants, today I would use whatever I have on the shelf, which is Tex Marine. These rifles are not accurate enough or worth enough to spend the big bucks bedding them with Devcon Aluminum or Stainless steel epoxy.

Got to tell you, with the short 20" barrel on this M38

with each shot, it produced One Big Badda Boom! You can see fireballs in direct sunlight.

Page generated in 0.02325 seconds with 8 queries