View Single Post
Old February 16, 2018, 05:03 PM   #7
OzeanJaeger

My experience (for my whole life of shooting and cleaning) as well, and when you bore-scope it you can see what's left with just patches.

I would say if you're worried about hurting your expensive barrel just use nylon brushes, but I read an article by one barrel maker who said that nylon was more abrasive than brass...? I don't believe either will have any impact at all on barrel steel unless you went crazy on the short stroking. With a decent bore guide and fiberglass rod your not going to hurt your rifling IMHO. Just long stroke it and go slow (especially out of the crown).

If you look at the patches when you remove them from the jag you can see that they aren't hitting the whole barrel. When a patch on a brush comes out you can see it is uniformly cleaning the whole thing. I don't know why this is controversial, but it seems to be.

Different people do it differently with good results, so I don't see the point in having a very strong opinion. I will say that if you buy a bore-scope it will probably change the way you do it.

Now, if you want to talk about an occasional couple of strokes with red J&B for a deep cleaning you're going to get a lot of strong opinions. I tend to follow the Mfg.s recommendations, and I have a built rifle where he claims that every thousand rounds a couple of passes isn't going to hurt anything... You don't want to round off your lands, so use sparingly.

Page generated in 0.02419 seconds with 8 queries