View Single Post
Old July 17, 2000, 10:53 PM   #3
Jack 99

1) I assume he was unarmed because you can't take firearms to those viewing areas. Personally, I'll never voluntarily get within 100 yds of a bear without some backup. That's just me though.

2) Probably was attacked in his shelter. Once again, without adequate physical protective barrier between him and the bears (i.e. camper), he just shouldn't have been there, especially unarmed.

3) Maybe he wasn't naive but he certainly didn't heed the essentials. I'm willing to bet he was unarmed and had no effective barrier to bear attack. I'm also willing to bet $50 his food got him into trouble.

For kicks you ought to trip around Jellystone for a week. Hang around long enough and you'll see people doing some of the stupidest stuff around wild animals. I don't think it ever registers with them that these are really potentially dangerous animals. And yes, its mostly the result of the Disneyfication of society.

Sorry, this dude gets no sympathy from me. If you don't know what you're doing around bears and you refuse to be armed (or let yourself be disarmed by Park Rangers) YOU SHOULDN'T BE IN THE WOODS!

Page generated in 0.04228 seconds with 8 queries