View Single Post
Old November 27, 2022, 10:21 AM   #6
MarkCO

Yeah, I've seen similar things. Some even crazier. Dead animals that don't know it yet. A drop in blood pressure that would put a human down, but an animal can run 100ish yards dead as a doornail.

I shot an Elk with a 210g .338 Partition that clipped the top of the heart and jellied a lung. It ran uphill for 1/2 a mile. I followed the VERY obvious blood trail and about 2 minutes after I shot, I heard 3 shots. When I got to the animal, 2 guys were walking up on it. They claimed they shot it. It was only hit once, from my shot. I asked them to show me where they hit it and of course they pointed to my bullet hole. I asked if it was facing the road or away, they said it was facing the road, just standing in the clearing. I pointed out that their "entrance" hole looked more like an exit hole, with blood flowing down and back. It was obvious they knew they were wrong, but were not backing down. I gave up and went a little bit away, took photos and went and filled my tag with a different Elk.

If they were right, that Elk ran 1/2 mile and then just stopped in a clearing. There was probably little if any blood left as the blood trail was 6 to 12 inches wide for all but the last 100 yards and then dwindled to a 1 to 2 inch drip line.

Page generated in 0.02901 seconds with 8 queries