View Single Post
Old July 5, 2020, 06:44 AM   #36
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
I dont disagree with you, but lets look at it this way:
Its in prime rut. A big buck is chasing a doe. He is going away at a slight angle. The only reason I am shooting him is that he is a trophy. Its rutting and will taste like junk anyway. Best case, he makes jerky. Worst case, he feeds my hunting dogs. So, if the best shot I get is straight up the but, I will let the 7 Rum, 7 WSM, or 257 Wby work its magic.
In Alaska they have a law (Wanton Waste), where in they cite a person for willfully wasting meat of game animals. The scenario you describe is arguably wanton waste.

I have never had a deer that tasted bad...certainly none that would require feeding to the dogs. It is frequently said that one has to know how to cook deer meat. As evidenced by the fact that most people in my area reduce deer to summer sausage instead of using the meat fresh, they do not. But that is no reason to intentionally take a shot that destroys the meat. If the "shooter" had not taken the shot in your scenario, maybe the next hunter would have treated that treasure trove of meat differently as well as collecting a trophy.

Page generated in 0.03598 seconds with 8 queries