View Single Post
Old July 5, 2013, 08:56 AM   #5
SamNavy

One of two things is going on.

1. The store has received word or taken out of context something that their local ATF guy has told them... or they are getting conflicting advice from multiple people at their ATF office. ATF guys are human, just like FFL's... if some ATF guy "interprets" some law different than other agents in their office, and none of the FFL's are interested in correcting them, then you get different LGS's and FFL's in the same geographic are telling customers all sort of different things. It makes the FFL look uninformed when he's just doing what his ATF said, and doesn't care enough to get to the bottom of it.

2. That guy is tired of the military. I've seen it several times in my dozen Navy moves over the years that an LGS in town just doesn't want to "deal" with the military anymore. The LGS feels for some reason it's too much work to look at all the different state DL's and feels he can keep himself in business without the military.

On several occasions, I've gone so far as to call the local ATF office, find the agent responsible for a particular LGS, have the agent call the LGS and specifically tell them the requirement for military, and STILL have the LGS refuse to release the gun. I then put the word out as far as I can in the local community about that store.

TO THE OP, that LGS is just dead wrong. Mil ID, orders, state issued DL, and a local utility bill is the MOST that should be required in any state. There are other methods of proof, but an LGS that requires some SPECIFIC piece of documentation outside the 4 I listed, they have an agenda. There is absolutely NO WAY any LGS should require military letterhead as a proof of address. That's just plain stupid. Any LGS that requires more than ID/Orders/DL/utility needs training. You owe it to the local military community to track this down and fix it. I would highly recommend you call the local ATF office, find out who is responsible for that LGS, and get them in the loop. If you LGS is just being a dick, put out the word on CALGUNS, and start making some noise. Definitely call the ATF.

So, I would go back to the store, ASK HIM for whatever proof/paperwork he has telling him about these "new laws", and give that LGS one more shot at earning your business, then ask him to transfer the gun to another store in town who isn't all F'ed up. Then publish your experience on the California forums and make it hurt financially for that store trying to put an extra burden on the local military.

Page generated in 0.02737 seconds with 8 queries