View Single Post
Old July 22, 2012, 02:19 AM   #19
johnwilliamson062

If you have a ten inch barrel and the bullet leaves in z seconds the gas leaves immediately after the bullet.

If you have a 4 inch barrel and 6 inch suppressor the bullet clears the suppressor at the same time as the 10 inch barrel, but the extra clearance around the baffles in the suppressor allows gas to get ahead of the bullet and exit before the bullet. Maybe. I can't see how the gas leaves later than immediately following the bullet.

The volume of the barrel is very small. on a 10 inch 50 cal(1/2 inch diameter) barrel the volume is only 2 cubic inches. On a 4 inch 50 cal barrel with a 6 inch long 2 inch diameter suppressor attached the volume is about 20 cubic inches. A pressure of 60,000 psi in the ten inch barrel is reduced to 6000 psi in the barrel & suppressor combination. With smaller caliber bullets the difference is much greater. The suppressor works not b/c it spreads out the gas leaving the barrel over time as much as the gas is at lower pressure when the system is opened. All rough calculations, and my physics is nowhere close to the level needed to be certain of how that works, but as I understand it...

Page generated in 0.03565 seconds with 8 queries