View Single Post
Old January 8, 2008, 10:50 PM   #25
DBotkin

It's not just you (other) gun geeks catching this stuff. Yeah, I noticed the missing primers in SPR, as well as most other films that show people toting linked MG ammo. But we hams notice uber-dorky stuff wrong in films, too. Wife & son & I were watching the latest Die Hard movie... the radio they showed in the unmarked cop car was a cheap 2-meter ham rig, tuned to a ham frequency. Lo and behold the rig in the FBI car was not only the SAME radio, on the SAME frequency... they just re-used the shot from the earlier NYPD car.

Watching the various Bourne flicks and others where they show the "super high tech NSA techies" supposedly monitoring all public service, cell and God-only-knows-what-other frequencies, they usually show a 80s to current vintage Kenwood or Icom HF radio, usually tuned somewhere in the 20 meter amateur band.

And I'll bet anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of high school physics finds it difficult not to jump up and yell, "BS!" at the screen in most action movies. Most of the "action sequences" are just so utterly stupid it detracts from the movie in most cases.

CraigC had it pegged... "movies are made by the uninformed, for the uninformed." Drama & entertainment trumps reality and accuracy (or even plausibility), both in Washington and in Hollyweird. But, hey, it's fun to watch anyway, you just have to practice the whole "suspending disbelief" thing. Good thing it's election season, we're getting tons of practice material!

Page generated in 0.02461 seconds with 8 queries