View Single Post
Old May 4, 2012, 08:39 PM   #25
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serf 'rett
Interesting thread, but I was hoping to see someone lay out hard data of the type obtained with a dial indicator. Anybody made measurements of the upward displacement of Lee turret vs Lyman T-Mag and the repeatability (will the displacement be the same.)

I've been looking at these two presses at the store and my general impression has been the Lee has more "slop" than the Lyman.
I read that measurement on another forum (for the Lee). If I can find it again I will post the result. Someone else will have to post the Lyman figure.

However, to a certain extent, the figures are not comparable. The Lyman turret, when it lifts, tilts, as it is constrained at the center and rear of the turret disk.

The Lee turret lifts the front edge (tilting) at first, but then lifts both the front and rear very soon thereafter, as the Lee turret disk is constrained around the periphery. Thus, the Lee will maintain (in theory) alignment of the die with the ram.

In practice, I think the difference is not going to be detectable in group size by any but the finest-performing firearms.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.04894 seconds with 8 queries