View Single Post
Old November 1, 2018, 03:31 PM   #89
Leaf

Weapon retention was and is a big part of officer training. Even so, back when I was a street cop it was pretty commonly understood that in the field anywhere from a third to a half of the officers killed on patrol who did not die in automobile accidents were killed with their own weapons. I don't personally really know how precise those stats were but I took them very seriously. In the US, if you're in a law enforcement officer's uniform the public will expect/assume that you are armed. It serves little tactical use to conceal under those circumstances especially considering all the crap you carry on your bat belt. Most plain clothes officers use the tactical advantage of carrying concealed unless they are trying to "look" official. Having said that, even including station house shenanigans by the occasional moron officer NOBODY ever successfully got to my gun. Admittedly though, some of that may have been due to blind luck but not by much. I’ve been involved in a half dozen shootings, I’ve been shot twice, and on another half dozen or so occasions individuals have tried to stab and/or cut me with sharp and/or edged weapons. I would suggest thinking long and hard before you decide to open carry. There are many people out there who have little to no fear of armed cops. I can guarantee that at least as many will have no fear of you.

Page generated in 0.03467 seconds with 8 queries