Thread: 22 Range Pistol
View Single Post
Old June 11, 2019, 11:02 AM   #17
rodfac

Here's another vote for one of the Ruger Mk series...the Mk2 is about the best of the lot: slide locks back after the last round is fired and a decent trigger for a plinking gun. Mine is a Mk2 and is every bit as accurate as my S&W Model 41 from a rested position. The Smith's superb trigger makes it a standout from anything other than a rested position, however.

Another good choice is one of the Ruger Single Sixes...either the Convertible model or the 22 lr only one. Any of them are a great choice and will outlive you and your kids. We've had two here and both were/are excellent. Neither has been particular about ammunition choice...you can expect 1.5" gps at 25 yds from a rest with any I've had the pleasure to shoot.

Currently we've got a half dozen .22's between my sons and I. The .22 lr uppers that sit on a Sig P226, and Colt & Ruger 1911's are reliable if kept clean, especially the chambers. Accuracy with the Ciener, Advantage Arms, and Marvel units is good enough for all but top drawer NRA Bullseye competition with selected ammo.

I'm personally partial to a pair of revolvers: a 70's vintage Colt Diamond back with a 4" bbl., and a similar vintage S&W Model 18, again with a 4" tube. Both are a joy to shoot with the accuracy laurels going to the Smith. The problem here is that either, especially the Colt, will really set you back financially...but either is also a lifetime investment. Accuracy with the Smith is on a par with my Model 41 Smith and that's from an offhand position too. That famous S&W SA trigger is awfully hard to beat.

Lastly, a High Standard or Colt Woodsman auto is a good choice if you're working with seasoned shooters. For newbies or youngsters; they'll bear watching as the auto-guns are ALWAYS loaded til the mag runs out. Son #2 has a Woodsman Match Target with the 4.5" bbl. that's superbly accurate in all hands, but I do find that its "Luger" slant to the grips does not suit my 1911ish tastes.

YMMv, but given the choice and best bang for the buck, I'd pick a Ruger Single Six with the adjustable sights. You can find 'em in SS if you camp a bunch or blued if that's you're fancy and you'll be happy for the rest of your days. And with all, I'd opt for a 5-1/2" bbl. or less; makes packing it on a belt holster a lot easier.

Best Regards, Rod Pic is of the Diamondback and S&W M18
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; June 11, 2019 at 12:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.03351 seconds with 8 queries