View Single Post
Old September 24, 2020, 01:00 AM   #14
Scorch

Quote:
Feel free to chip in any time Scorch!!
GONG!!! You rang?

Yep, pretty standard new M70 stuff. A customer of mine bought 5 M70 Super Grades this year (22-250, 243, 270, 30-06, 338). Beautiful rifles, very nice (for factory) wood and metal workmanship, but the insides have the same thing you found. I reworked the triggers because he won't shoot a crappy trigger, but I left the bedding alone. They shot OK in spite of "the way things are supposed to be".

The triggers are adjustable between 4 lbs and 5 lbs. If you drop below that the trigger pull gets inconsistent. Nice part is that if you take them apart, you can replace the trigger return spring and adjust the take-up and overtravel to make them pretty nice. But they have to come apart. Or you can just buy a Timney if you don't have the patience for it.

The bedding you got actually looks better than the US FN-built rifles. They used a hot-melt goo to bed the rifles, and it almost always got ruined when you took the action out of the stock. I would remove all the factory bedding compound, and pillar bed it, giving the recoil lug clearance on the bottom, sides and front. Pillar bedding will also take care of the rear action screw mess.

Don't forget to seal up all that exposed wood with some sort of finish. I don't know what the weather in your area is like, but if it's exposed to hot/cold/high humidity, the wood will swell and ruin the finish it it isn't sealed. Just a quick wipe of TruOil or even Minwax will keep youf finish safe.

Page generated in 0.02262 seconds with 8 queries