View Single Post
Old May 3, 2002, 05:44 PM   #23
Powderman

Thanks for the compliment.

I am reminded of a line from one of my favorite movies--Full Metal Jacket. (I STILL get flashbacks from watching that movie!!!)

This might be a rather loose quote:

"If your heart is not pure, you will HESITATE at the moment of truth.

"You will become DEAD Marines--and then you will be in a world of ****;

"Because Marines are NOT allowed to die without permission!"

--GySgt Hartman (F. Lee Ermey)

Incidentally, from what I understand, almost ALL of the Boot Camp dialogue from Lee Ermey was ad libbed!! After all, he had the experience of being a real Marine Drill Instructor to draw on.

However, movie or not, the saying is true without exception.

Carrying a firearm may make you feel better. Indeed, the person who carries the latest hi-cap whatever, with 3 pre-ban mags, loaded with the best and most accurate ammunition money can buy.

He or she might have tons of well paid for training from Front Sight, InSight, LFI, Thunder Ranch, Blackhawk, Gunsite, etc.

But the one thing that is missing might be the most important thing, and that is the resolve and determination to pull the trigger if needed.

Believe me, all the hardware in the world don't mean jack.

Much more dangerous than the person described above is the person who may carry just a Colt Detective Special, or maybe a Taurus .38 snub--or maybe even a Colt Gov't Model mil surp, without the bells and whistles, who is READY, WILLING, and ABLE to cut loose without hesitation. From Dune: "Fear is the mind killer". And yes, hesitation kills.

To all who read this, I posit this question:

Are you ready? REALLY ready?

Can you stomach another human being, crying for his mom, as he lays there on the ground to your front, bleeding his life away?

How about the guy who just threatened your life moments before with a weapon, laying there in agonal reflex, blowing his lungs through his mouth from the double tap you just dealt?

Maybe a teenager, with half their head gone from the impact of two .45 hollowpoints.

Or the home invader with their head totally avulsed from the full charge of 00 Buck you just hit him with?

God forbid, what if you have to shoot a WOMAN??

Think about it long and hard, my friends. THAT is what you buy into when you carry concealed. That is what you are prepared to deal out. Death, in all its horrid, bloody majesty.

If you choose to carry, then fine. Know the potential. Prepare for it.

On the other hand, what if YOU are the one shot?

Can you keep up the fight? Can you respond through grevious injury? Remember SA Edmund Mireles, from the Miami Shootout. His right arm was almost TOTALLY blown away from the close range impact of 5.56 rounds.

Yet, he was the one who finally dealt the killing shots to those who tried to kill him.

Get into the groove, folks. Develop the REAL combat mindset.

And again, above all--know that walking away is the better choice, even after minor injury. At whatever price there is to your dignity or pride.

Good luck, stay safe, and God bless.

Page generated in 0.03718 seconds with 8 queries