View Single Post
Old May 10, 2016, 10:20 AM   #5
kraigwy

Two things come to mind.

You have to keep the guns where kids cant get to them.

The gun has to be instantly available to you and wife

Two accomplish this, all guns have to be locked up EXCEPT FOR TWO.

These two have to be on your and your wife's person.

Kids explore, my greatest fear is one of my grandkids, or their friends getting a hold of one of my guns, so they are locked up in one of my safes.

I do know in home invasions, it takes about 3-5 seconds to kick in a LOCKED door.

It takes a lot longer then that to get off the couch, and fetch your gun from the gun safe.

Find a gun and method of carry that is comfortable enough to carry on your person 24/7,

Its going to be rather difficult for a small child to get a gun away from their parents without the parent knowing.

Each person is different. My method may not work for everyone but its an example. I pocket carry. Again all my guns except the one I carry is locked up. When I go to bed my pants are hanging on the bed post, and one of my grandkids would have to crawl over me to get it. I'm a pretty light sleeper.

When I was in LE, before we had dogs, we did a lot of building searches. We studied buildings to learn the best and safest way to search buildings.

Often we were called on to go to people houses and help them develop a search plan, or as you mentioned, a DEFENSE plan where one might have to get to a different part of the house to protect family members.

One cant look at your sketch and properly work with you. What did jump out at me right off the bat was a large protective dog sleeping at the door of your kids bedroom, but that isn't always possible.

What I recommend is contact your local Police or Sheriffs department to see if they would come to your home, and help you develop a plan that works for you.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03647 seconds with 8 queries