View Single Post
Old May 9, 2016, 08:39 PM   #1
Fade2Grey

Help me develop a home defense plan?

Hey folks, this is my first post. I am new to posting on forums. I have tried to read every rule I could find and hopefully I am asking my question the right way, in the right section and providing the right info to get helpful feedback. Please feel free to inform me if I have failed at doing any of that. This is a great site for learning and fellowship, in which I only wish to positively contribute. Thank you, in advance.

________

I am wanting to develop a home defense plan. Ideally, I would like the plan to address the majority of security risks I may have to one day face. I have recently acquired more responsibility in my life by way of a fiance and her two daughters 2 and 7 years old. I am proud to welcome the responsibility, however, I also realize I have a lot to learn about my duties to them. I am hoping the discussion started here can help supplement my education. Along with moral duties, I understand that I have acquired legal responsibilities as well. Having said that, I want to state, and remind anyone that this is only a discussion and not a substitute for legal advice, professional training, or ones own due diligence required to develop a home defense plan.

I am almost 30, a U.S. Army Infantry Veteran and a gunsmith. The most important thing that experience has taught me, is that I have a lot to learn. I am no expert in any field and continuously find aspects of my life that can be improved upon. My most recent realization has come from attending a few court hearings with my fiance. It has opened my eyes to my own ignorance of the intricacies of the judicial system.

My fiances ex was physically abusive to her and he adds concern regarding our safety. I also understand that violent crimes are committed often and consider it necessary to safeguard myself and those I can against such crimes.

I currently live in a rented single wide mobile home in a semi rural area of North Carolina. I have neighbors houses on three sides, within 50 meters. The only current layers of security I have set up are locks and firearms. I feel this is grossly inadequate. One day I hope to be able to add a dog and security cameras, ultimately moving to a more secure and permanent residence.

Right now I can't afford professional training, but, I will be able to one day and plan to acquire as much as possible. Until then, I will have to work with what I have.

Before acquiring 3 beautiful women in my home, I had a bit more freedom as to where I left firearms, and in what condition they were left. I humbly admit I also had a cavalier attitude towards my personal security. Now, I need to take home security much more seriously.

My home being a trailer has less than ideal security. Weak entry points, thin walls, close proximity neighbors, kids in other rooms that need to be accounted for and protected, a fiance with very little firearm knowledge, lots of blind spots inside and out, have all got me thinking. I need to be as prepared as possible to overcome such disadvantages.

How would you begin to plan your home defense? What scenarios would you most likely encounter and therefore prepare for? What additional measures of security would you employ and by what priority would you compare them? What choice of firearm and projectile would you use for lethal force? How would you incorporate my fiance and her children into the plan? These are just a few questions I am looking to answer.

I will try to include a layout of my house with this post, to give a better idea of what I have to work with. My home has two bedrooms, a kitchen and a living room. There is a front door and a back door on opposite ends of the trailer. On one end is my bedroom, on the other is the kids room. The front door is on the end with the kids room, and on the side of the house that their door, bunk bed, my bed and my door are on. From my bedroom door I can see the majority of the inside of my house, with half of my living room and kitchen being a blind spot. I am no artist, please let me know if the drawing needs further explanation.

Being a trailer, penetrating walls with a firearms projectile is a big concern for me. Having the girls bunk bed directly behind their door and near the front door, is another. Ideally, I would not want to discharge a firearm in that direction at all, for fear of risking a projectile harming the children. If whatever scenario dictates I need to take a shot in that direction, how best can I prepare for such? If the scenario dictates I move to or retrieve the kids from their room, how best can I prepare for such?

What other information can I provide for discussion on how to develop a home defense plan?

It is required by law I keep firearms locked up inside the house. I understand why. I could not live with myself if my complacency or lack of firearm safety were to result in the injury or death of anyone. How would you keep your home defense firearm(s) secured?

I am 6'0 185lbs, 70% disabled veteran, on a very tight budget. My door kicking days and early morning runs are long since past, however, I am not immobile nor too physically weak for it to be a consideration in my plan. I do have substantial hearing loss and require the use of hearing aides. How would this affect your plan?

I currently own a reliable 12 gauge pump action shotgun with a vent rib 28" modified choke barrel with a 4+1 capacity of 2 3/4" shells (Winchester Ranger 120) and a 9mm striker fired polymer pistol with a few magazines with a capacity of 15 rounds (H&K VP9). I have several bright handheld flashlights as well as weapon mounted lights for the pistol.

I have a cellphone that gets great service inside my home that I keep charged with spare batteries.

I made it a point to meet my neighbors. They all know my occupation and I am on friendly terms with them. I do not have their phone numbers nor do they have mine.

I keep my home, outside and in, well maintained. I have no trespassing signs prominently displayed at all 4 corners of my property lines. I have a very bright HID lightpole similar to a streetlight in my backyard, however, do not have any illumination in the front.

I have two window unit air conditioners. These are necessary to leave in place in the Summer. They are security considerations, though.

North Carolina has a variant of the castle doctrine. I am not prohibited from possessing firearms.

Last edited by Fade2Grey; May 9, 2016 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Picture Failed

Page generated in 0.02907 seconds with 8 queries