View Single Post
Old July 16, 2021, 11:06 AM   #48
Don Fischer

There is absolutely nothing the 300 Savage can do that the 308 can't do a little better. And the 308 come's in about every bolt action rifle made and I think I read you could get in in AR type rifle too. Walk into about any gun store in America and there's ammo for the 308, not so the 300 Savage. 300 Savage is certainly an acceptable cartridge just just not quite up to the 308 in any rifle! People select cartridge's based on what they read in the magazines and on the internet, writer's and internet user's don't go wow over something, it's gonna fail! If the 300 Savage had been the military cartridge and the 308 the poor step sister, it would probably be the 308 going under. No company can make money selling rifles and ammo in cartridge's that don't sell! Go around to gun store's and not much in the way of 300 Savage ammo or guns! And seldom anyone mention's it on any internet site, it's all but totally ignored. I think the only reason it was around as long as it was was because of the mod 99 rifle. Good as it was, the 99 is a relic of the past, just like the mod 94 and the 30-30. Today people praise AR type auto loader's and always bolt action's. But look what's happening with bolt actions. Wonder how much longer we'll be able to afford one with a wood stock?

With a 300 Savage I could hunt all of N. America and not feel under gunned but the 308 gives just a bit more in a short action rifle and in long action the 30-06 even a bit more. Don't read a lot about any of those three on the internet compared to the different magnums and God forbid our cartridge isn't capable to 400yds! Let's face it, most cartridges are capable to 400 yds the 300 Savage included. But your not gonna read much about that! If it was in the shooter, using the right load the 30 carbine would probably make a 400 yd deer rifle! In every cartridge we have the ability of the rifle and cartridge is pretty much gonna depend on the ability of the user. And I think the success of any cartridge is going to depend on the words of writer's and now days, the unseen faces on the internet. Would the 270 exist today were it not for Jack O'Conner? When's the last time we read anything from anyone praising the 300 Savage?

Page generated in 0.03181 seconds with 8 queries