View Single Post
Old July 4, 2011, 12:40 AM   #16
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyaw
How did you come to get the info about the "Yellow stuff"?
That information came from Mad Monk on the American Longrifles website. He did a mass spectrometry analysis of Bore Butter to identify its ingredients.

Quote:
If mineral oil is good then who uses it? I don't see it anywhere that people use mineral oil.
It's a main ingredient of Bore Butter/Wonder Lube and Ballistol too. Ballistol is also used by many folks as a patch lube.

I'm not sure how important the flash point of the various oils are. But I do suspect that one of the reasons that mineral oil is used is because it is highly stable and will never go rancid or turn into a varnish. It's basically a liquid form of Vaseline which some folks apply as a small bead around their loaded revolver balls.

http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/oils.html

Quote:
Could that have been medicinal mineral oil? Never heard of it. Is that what you buy in the stores?
I've tried mineral oil from the drug store and it was a terrible lube for patches and round ball in the muzzleloader rifle. Did I have the wrong mineral oil?
There's 2 different kinds of medicinal grade mineral oils having heavy or light viscosities which describes their ability to flow at different temperatures.

Quote:
White Mineral Oils (8042-47-5)

White mineral oils are practically odorless. They are saturated hydrocarbons having carbon numbers mostly from C15 to C50 and come in heavy medicinal grade, light medicinal grade and technical grade. White mineral oils range from non-irritating to mildly irritating to eyes and skin. Medicinal grade oils have a flash point of 185 to 122 degrees Celsius (365 to 430 degrees Fahrenheit), and technical grade oils have a flash point of 171 to 185 degrees C (340 to 365 degrees F). They can accumulate a static charge by agitation or when poured and can float on water. The boiling-point range for white mineral oil is 218 to 643 degrees C (424 to 1,189 degrees F).

http://www.ehow.com/about_5445558_pr...neral-oil.html

Last edited by arcticap; July 4, 2011 at 01:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.02443 seconds with 8 queries