Thread: JSP bullets?
View Single Post
Old February 10, 2018, 10:56 AM   #15
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
The difference in performance between the XTP JSP and the XTP JHP is quite a bit at the same velocity. The JHP expands rapidly and the JSP penetrates deeper with a bit less expansion. .
Again.....there is no such thing as a XTP-JSP in .38/.357. I assume this is what you are referring to as their JSP.....no exposed lead and a hollow point.
https://www.hornady.com/bullets/hand...8-gr-fp-xtp#!/

Here is a pic both of Hornady's 158 gr offerings for .38/357. Both look basically identical. If you look close, you see the XTP-FP on the right has a slightly smaller HP cavity....but you have to look close. This is what I meant in my first post about jacket thickness, alloy and design being just as important as a hole in the tip when it comes to expansion. I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, only trying not to confuse the OP even more. If he does not really know the difference between a JSP and a JHP now, telling him another bullet with a HP without an exposed lead tip is still called a JSP, will probably confuse him more. Again, what determines a JSP is generally a exposed soft tip, that, while aiding to expansion, is also encased in a thick jacket to avoid extreme expansion and fragmentation. Still even more confusing are JSPs with a hollow point.....and then calling bullets FMJ even when the jacket does not extend over the base of the bullet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XTPs.jpg (63.6 KB, 16 views)

Page generated in 0.04197 seconds with 9 queries