Thread: Desert Eagle?
View Single Post
Old February 25, 2014, 09:59 PM   #2
reticle

I've had 2 Desert Eagles. One of them was the exact gun you described. It was a polished stainless .50ae made in '03 (IIRC). It was a very powerful gun. I kid you not, it felt like my palm was being punched with every trigger pull. It first I enjoyed shooting it, but after a few months, I began to avoid it because of the recoil. I don't mind magnum guns and their recoil. I shoot 45 win mag, 450 mag express, .44 mag etc., but that .50ae was work; even for such a heavy gun like the DE. I much preferred my .44 mag DE. Now that was a fun gun.

DE's are fairly dirty shooters IME. They get plenty of soot all in the slide and frame which, if you like your guns clean, will take some time to accomplish. I enjoyed the process of disassembly, cleaning, inspecting and reassembly all the way up to my mid forties. Then, I sort of lost interest in meticulous maintenance, defaulting to a more expeditious mindset. Some guns let you do that and others do not. My DE's began to act up eventually and I sold them.

I think anyone who has an interest in them ought to give them a try. They are mega fun and very accurate. Maybe some day I'll own another .44 DE. I prefer the old style too. I still have all my .50ae brass (nickel Speer). I prepared them for reloading and they sit cleaned, sized and primed in an MTM case. Don't know why I keep them.

Page generated in 0.03628 seconds with 8 queries