View Single Post
Old February 8, 2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Scorch

Does he want it to look like an M-16 or an M-16A1? The M16 had no forward assist, m-16A1 had the forward assist.

The civilian version of the original M-16 was called the AR-15 SP1 by Colt when they were offered. They had triangular handguards, a shorter stock, fixed sight bridge with L-shaped rear sight adjustable for windage (flip up to switch from 300 yds to 500 yds sights), and a very thin pencil barrel with a 3-prong flash suppressor. There are outfits that offer the smooth-side receivers, but I don't know if anyone offers a complete rifle with all of the correct features. Others on here will know.

The M16A1 used a teardrop shaped forward assist, had no case deflector lump, had triangular handguards and shorter stock, had a fixed sight bridge (carry handle) with an L-shaped rear sight adjustable for windage only (flip up to switch from 300 yds to 500 yds sights), and a cage flash suppressor with vents all the way around. All of these features are available as parts, again I don't know if anyone offers a complete rifle with these features.

So, long story short, if he wants an AR15 that looks just like the M16 he carried in VietNam, he may have to build one.

Page generated in 0.02245 seconds with 8 queries