View Single Post
Old September 9, 2011, 12:13 PM   #115
shortwave

Quote:
some dynamics are different
No MANY dynamics are different.

Case-n-point.

When I was in school, the gang problem was virtually non-existant.

Today,I can take you to the South-end of Cols. to an elementary school in which there are guards at the school entrance's as well as guards at the ends of the hallways.

Why, school principal out on recess with the kids was jumped and almost beat to death(broken jaw, broken nose,fractured skull, broken arm and ribs) by a gang claiming the school property as their territory. Can't say she wasn't warned...the gang sent her a formal notice the elementary school grounds belonged to them a week or so prior, complete, on an a nicely typed paper with an official letterhead. Those arrested were jr. and high school students.

Just one of very many incidents I could tell about that I don't ever recall happening while I went to school.

Also as I posted about yesterday, high school kid got his throat cut during fight at school. Ever remember that happening when you were in school.

Problem is, like I said, yesterday and today, parents that were interviewed after this kid got his throat cut just couldn't figure out how the other kid got the knife in school. Some interviewed today that were on the news are now wanting metal detectors inst'd. Some were wanting to hold the school accountable. No doubt the poor parents of the boy that got his throat cut, phone has or will be ringing off the hook by every att'y in the city wanting to sue the school....but yet no one wants to take any kind of actions to try and prevent something like this from happening prior to it happening.

Same thing goes for the alcohol testing at school dance thing. If there's been enough documented problems in that area and the schools aware there's a problem in that area, they have an obligation to use whatever legal means necessary to avoid the alcohol problem. Either that or don't sponsor the dance period.

Let the parents rent a hall, sponsor and chaperone the event and take on the responsibility of not getting sued should by chance a car load of teens get in a wreck after leaving the dance and alcohol is involved.

I and most guys I knew carried a knife every day and the thought never occurred to us to ever use it in SD if we got in a fight. And I went to a few of what was considered rough schools back then.

IMO, if you don't feel things have changed drastically today in regards to what some kids can/will do out on the street or at school compared to what we used to do 30-40 yrs ago, you're really out of touch with some of todays kids or you simply don't want to accept it. Just research how many shootings/ stabbings happened at high school football games the last few years.
Also while your at it, research how many high schools in rougher areas don't have Fri-night football anymore. They play there games on Sat. during the day with an empty stadium and no cheering fans. Why? The documented history of violence during previous night games. Sad, but true.

Page generated in 0.04339 seconds with 8 queries