View Single Post
Old September 19, 2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Lost Sheep

Use both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide
I've taken the easy route. I put the edge of a nickel between the die and shell holder. Works like a charm.
Given the uniformity of American coinage, using a nickle as a feeler gauge is convenient, and lucky. How much change did you go through before you discovered you got satisfactory results? Did you go for foreign coinage, also?

Can different makes (or production runs) of dies have a different clearance spec?

Seems to me that dagger dog and wogpotter's suggestions will yield more certain results.

Skunk Ape, using full-length sizing dies, backed off a bit, to neck-size has been done since there were bottle-necked cartridges to reload. The neck-sizing-only dies are either 1) a marketing scheme to sell more dies or 2) somewhat easier to use/set up, a trifle more accurate, or both.

If you are after supreme accuracy, I see no reason not to go for the neck-sizing die, along with a concentricity gauge and any of the other reloading tools that make each case and each loaded round more consistent.

As far as a definitive answer, you will not get one. Some reloaders go one way, some another way.

You would do best to ask each one WHY they chose one way over the other. But best to ask the reloader who occasionally uses BOTH methods, which he chooses, when, and why. Good luck on finding him, though. He is probably out at the range or the bench.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.03443 seconds with 8 queries