View Single Post
Old August 1, 2021, 07:49 AM   #39
std7mag

Thus far i have 3 quarter bore hunting rifles.
First being a Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts. Using PPU 7X57 Mauser cases run through a full length 257 Roberts die, brass was cheap & plentiful before this last crunch.
I'm loading to +P standards. Coyotes HATE the 90gr Sierra BlitzKings.
And deer have been taken cleanly with 100 & 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, 115gr Berger VLD, and 120gr HPBT GameKings.

My second venture is my Stevens 200. Originally 7mm-08, i reamed the chamber to AI. I'm glad i don't own a borescope, as after 6,000+ rounds the throat was to the point i couldn't touch the lands with a 140gr bullet. I happened accross an "over run special" from E. R. Shaw. 24" Savage small shank, sporter, polished, blued in 250 Savage.
Because i picked it up from their shop, i paid $100 for it.
It has been a joy to shoot! I usually load everything from 75gr Sierra HP Varminter through 100gr Ballistic Tips.

Rifle #3 was kind of an accident...
I ended up buying another E.R. Shaw barrel. This time a 24" in 257 Roberts for $100. Having bought the barrel, i needed an action. I happened onto a new Savage 111 for $399.
Enter Pacific Tool & Gauge having a sale on reamers.
Rifle is now a 257 Roberts AI. Planned bullets with this rifle are 115gr Ballistic Tip & Berger VLD. Along with the 120gr Partition & Sierra HPBT GameKing.

After much go back & forth with other match shooters, i've decided to chamber my benchrest rifle in 250 Savage. Most of my shooting is 400 yards & less.
The Shilen barrel is still being anxiously awaited on. Then i can put together & send off for the stock to be made.

The "laser" in 257 would be the Lazzeroni 6.53 Scramjet.

The new Berger bullets out are too long to stabilize in the standard 1:10 twist barrels.
You need a fast twist 1:7.5 to shoot them along with the 131gr Blackjack Ace.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...

Page generated in 0.03692 seconds with 8 queries