View Single Post
Old March 16, 2023, 01:14 PM   #3
divil

Quote:
You may have thought of this, and we are just expressing our thoughts in different ways...

I look THROUGH (not at) the rear peep. I put the top of the front sight post in the center of the "hole" and put what I want to hit on top of the post.

If the gun is adjusted to fit you (and you put your head in the same place every time) then the top of the front sight will naturally be centered in the aperture.

IF this isn't happening, the fix is to adjust you (your shooting position) the stock, or the sights, or a combination of these things.

When you shoulder the rifle, things should line up "on their own" and you shouldn't have to hunt around to find your sights. Just as, with a properly mounted scope (for you) you shouldn't have to move your head to "hunt" for the full field of view. It should line up properly when you shoulder the rifle. If it doesn't something isn't lined up (aligned) correctly. Most of the time, its the shooter...
Thanks. It sounds to me like you do the 2nd option by my way of expressing it, since you deliberately make sure the post is in the center of the aperture (by the sound of it).

The reason for my post is that many sources claim that you do not need to deliberately put the front sight in the center of the aperture. The phrase that's all over the internet is that "your eye will do it automatically". Some even go so far as to say that if you try to do it deliberately, that will prevent you from shooting well.

But what I have found is that my eye doesn't do it automatically. I have to make sure to put the post in the exact center. And that's usually harder for me than putting a post in the center of a notch, because the aperture is huge by comparison and invariably contains clutter from around my target. So the center of the area of light is not always the center of the aperture.

If I just look through the aperture, put the post on the target, and trust my eye to "automatically" align the post to the center of the aperture, I will get good groups as long as I maintain exactly the same eye position. The next group I shoot will also be good but it'll be in a slightly different place. Yes it's close as long as I have my eye close to the same place every time, but I find it impossible to get a perfectly consistent cheek weld on any one rifle, nevermind trying to do it on every rifle I have.

But if I pay attention to where the post is in the aperture, and make sure it's centered, then I get good groups centered in the same place every time, even though my cheek weld is far from consistent.

I am talking about precision shooting here. I can ignore the aperture/post alignment and still get good enough accuracy to be dangerous. But I want to shoot 1 MOA groups, not minute of pumpkin or whatever (which is why I'm asking people to tell me the results they are get as well as their technique - not every has the same notion of accuracy).

Page generated in 0.02338 seconds with 8 queries