Thread: 22-250 rifle
View Single Post
Old March 4, 2023, 06:18 AM   #55
Picher

I started using .22-250 before I was married, back in 1970+/-. I was taken by it when hunting woodchucks, then and shot a couple of whitetails with it. It never failed to impress me!!! One shot, around 1965 or so, perhaps a bit scary, but I was younger back then when, on a lark, I called some flying crows toward the woods road I was on. One coasted across my view, straight vertical above me, at least a couple of hundred feet high. It was a safe direction, downriver, so I took the shot, just before it disappeared above the pine trees surrounding the road.

I stood there in foot-deep snow, thinking that I probably shouldn't have shot in the air, but the shot had surely made it safely to a large wooded area near the fields just across the road a bit.

Suddenly, I heard twigs snapping and things happening in the pine trees, about a hundred yards away. I quickly moved to a clearing and looked, as some small branches fell out of the higher pine branches, at a tree across field, about 100 or so yards away.

I made my way through about a foot of snow as I trudged toward the tree at the edge of the field, but couldn't see anything until getting to small branches laying on the snow. You can't imagine how shocked I was to find a freshly-killed crow without a head!!!

I almost wondered how that happened. Oh yeah, I'll bet someone shot it with a .22-250. He only regretted that he didn't have any witnesses.

Last edited by Picher; March 4, 2023 at 06:25 AM.

Page generated in 0.03113 seconds with 8 queries