View Single Post
Old February 23, 2023, 12:33 PM   #3
bamaranger

AK

Availability and abundance are certainly factors, in Ukraine and elsewhere. I have read where there could be as many as 100 MILLION AK rifles of all types worldwide produced in the design's 70 year history. Since Ukraine and Russia have a long standing connection (good and bad) since the AK rifle's inception post WWII, there are bound to be many AK's of varying pattern in both countries. Relevant? In simple terms, if you're being shot at by one of the things, it's immediately relevant!

Contemporary is another matter. The rifle is as reliable and durable as it has ever been. For laying down a volume of fire out to say hmm (?) 500 yds, it still performs that task as before. As I see it, the AK's short coming (disregarding the cartridge issue for now) is connected to the platform itself. There are not a lot of options regards accessory attachment on the AK. The side rail addressed optics, sort of, but lights, laser designators and other gear associated with a modern battle rifle have trouble finding a place on an AK or AKM.

Are such attachments necessary.....I dunno, might depend on the type of conflict? I would want a light if I was doing much house to house stuff. If my comrades had night vision, I would want some type of designator and would want them to have one too. Woodline to woodline...I can't say if all that hardware matters. An M4 can adapt, the AK family not so much.

Now, the cartridge......
The US Army's new 6.8 cartridge is at another level when compared to the NATO 5.56 or the Soviet 7.62x39 or later 5.45x39mm. At 6.8x51mm it is a full power round, as compared to what I would term the intermediate power M16/M4/ & AK/AKM cartridges. Consequently, equal amounts ofthe ammo and the weapons that fire it will weigh more than 5.56/M4 combos. There is talk and limited examples of a poly cased cartridge that will offset the the ammunition weight issue.....we will see. The 6.8x51 will have a decidedly flatter trajectory past 500 yds than any of its competitors. Does flatter trajectory and increased range matter, especially versus the load a a US fighter humps these days, I dunno.....?

Last edited by bamaranger; February 24, 2023 at 09:38 PM.

Page generated in 0.03192 seconds with 8 queries