View Single Post
Old March 15, 2013, 10:08 AM   #1
drcook

1948 16ga Ithaca 37 restoration

I am sure some of you have seen this on the other forums I post to, however, I decided to share with the ones that haven't.

I am restoring a 1948 Ithaca 37 16ga.

Here are some pics of the 1948 as it was when I opened the box. It was a bit misrepresented. Next time I won't simply take a gunstore's word that it is a little rusty, even if they are supposed to be an upstanding institution over in the Poconos of Pa, right in downtown Stroudsburg, Pa.

The left side of the receiver is how it came out of the box at the receiving FFL. Needless to say, I was a bit perturbed at Dunkleberger's. They also fibbed about the knurling on the magazine nut as I was going to swap it onto another gun I am restoring. I guess gunstore employees and used car salesmen go to the same school.

The only salvation is I only paid $150.00 for it. Plus the barrel to receiver threads are as tight as can be. The safety is tight, all indicative of not much use.

Regardless, as I said, I am salvaging it. I have got all but the very worst pits out. They are too deep.

I bought some stripper and going to do the stocks. The mechanicals are good and tight, with the exception of the left hand shell stop spring, which we all know is a known Ithaca weakness.

I have bought new screws for the receiver.

The barrel is 28", modified and the barrel is ok inside.

After it is all polished out and the wood stripped, I will have new pics and of course will post the final result.

Too bad I don't have another 275.00 right now. The full choked 48 16ga at the local pawnshop is begging to be restored.

The posts and text are from a series of posts over a couple of times, so you should read them as if time was passing.

Work is progressing. All the rust and corrosion is removed from the pits. I have an email out to a company that does lazer welding to see if it is cost effective to send it to them and have them fill the pits in.

I didn't take a picture of the barrel, it has sanded out and polished perfect, as did the trigger guard and other pieces.

If this works out and they don't want too much, I will send it to them. I am also going to check a couple other places out also.

Page generated in 0.03826 seconds with 8 queries