View Single Post
Old March 15, 2013, 10:04 AM   #24
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm sure you were asking 44... but you can check loading data for the Thompson Contenders... I have a 10" barrel chambered in 45 Magnum... & my TC load books have data...

BTW... I'd be nervous about machining the cylinder for moon clips... if shooting the 460 as hot as it is, without case head support of that couple mills of cylinder, may cause a case head rupture...

as an "aside" for all... if you see old loading manuals, pick them up... the new ones offer the newest greatest cartridges, but often drop more obsolete cartridges & practices... I.E. I have load data for the 45 Magnum in older manuals, & I have 2 old Speer manuals on loan to a buddy that has been shooting Speer's plastic bullets in his shed over winter... the newest Speer manual has a brief description of the process, but nothing in detail, & the bullets didn't come with instructions, but in my oldest Speer manual, there is a very detailed chapter... so it can be nice to have those old manuals around... if you see old ones in rubbish sales, they are often very worth the cost...

BTW... if you are wanting a 45 Magnum revolver, the cylinder is long enough on the Ruger Super Redhawks ( double action ) or in the Blackhawk / Super Blackhawk configuration... for example, if you bought a Blackhawk convertible in 45 acp & 45 Colt, & didn't like the 45 Colt for example, I think you could have that cylinder reamed to 45 Magnum... the single actions don't need a moon clip, as the auto version cartridges headspace on the case mouth... this would actually be very easy to do, & of reasonable cost... after buying the revolver in the 1st place that is...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM.

Page generated in 0.03117 seconds with 8 queries