View Single Post
Old August 4, 2012, 11:03 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Consistency is ONLY important if what you do is consistently good. Many people trim their 9x19, .40S&W, and .45Auto brass, to be consistent. However, all they are doing is increasing head space and making consistently inaccurate ammo.
Most rifle shooters have heard of performing a "ladder test" at 200-300 yds and finding the charge weight range where all the bullets group into one group. Thus, they KNOW that a range of charge weights will still place the bullet into a moderately small group out to 400 yds. Thus, sweating consistency by measuring your charge weight to 0.1gn (or as some say, 0.02gn), when most rounds will have a random number of grains of powder that will be unburned, is NOT really gaining anything.
So... you're saying that absolute randomness is the most important factor in reloading?

While I understand that you're trying to point out that there are some variables that reloaders cannot eliminate; your argument is not clear and really does seem to be saying that you can just randomly toss a bunch of crap together, because consistency at the reloading bench will be outweighed by uncontrollable random factors.

Quote:
It would be nice if people all did their own tests on what factors really need to be consistent and published the results.
Come take a look at my reloading notes, one of these days. I do perform my own testing, and I do publish my results ...in my notebook.

But... there are many resources available today, that allow reloaders to get a good idea of whether or not they need to care about any given variable. From online forums, to professional articles, to YouTube videos, to blogs, to e-Magazines... there's a ton of information online, detailing the tests other reloaders have performed. And there are, of course, the classic magazine articles. One of my favorites, Handloader, is not only a great resource, but unbiased. More than 50% of the articles are written by freelancers ... guys like you and me, just sharing our knowledge.

One of the biggest reasons many of use reload, is because we want nearly perfect ammunition. In order to achieve that, we often have to weed out the undesirable loads, as well.
Don't dwell on the "failures" or variables you have no control over. Take anything you can from any test you perform, and apply that knowledge to future endeavors. Don't chase frustration. Move on, and pursue a load that will make you happy.

Page generated in 0.03903 seconds with 8 queries