View Single Post
Old July 20, 2011, 09:51 AM   #9
F. Guffey

"4. Back off about .023. This is where i am unsure, I wonder how much space should be between that bullet and the lands?"

I am not a fan of the 'standing still start', I want my bullets to have a running start, I favor the jump start, If I jam the bullet into the lands I feel it necessary to compensate by reducing other factors.

As to shredding the neck of the case for what ever purpose, sounds like busy work, I am a fan of making one measurement then taking that measurement from the chamber to the die and back to the chamber, that is possible with a transfer, a case with a shredded neck does not make a good transfer because of the squid looking neck, I know it sounds impressive "here is what I do, I shred the neck..." I don't, I am a fan of bullet hold, I can measure bullet hold, I can not measure neck tension, nor can anyone else, but 'crush and interference fit' are not in a reloaders vocabulary.

And head space, it is not fair, my rifles have head space, one has .016 thousands head space, that is .011 thousands more than the perfect go-gage length chamber, that means if I chamber the perfect over the counter, new, commercial unfired minimum length case the difference between the length of my case from the head of the case to the shoulder is .016 thousands shorter than the length of the chamber when measured from the bolt face to the shoulder of the chamber is .016 thousands, not a problem, my favorite 30/06 case is the 280 Remington case, or, a case that has been fired in a trashy old chamber, If I wanted trashy old long cases I could fire new cases in my rifle with .016 thousands head space, I would explain why but I can not type that slow.

Again, I am a fan of bullet hold, I make tools out of just about anything and my firing pins crush the primer before the bullet, case and powder know their little buddy, the primer, was hit, AND, time is a factor.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02326 seconds with 8 queries