View Single Post
Old June 19, 2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Gatofeo

The Lee REAL bullet was never intended for use in revolvers. Only recently have folks been using it.
It has been used in single-shot pistols for many years, but not revolvers. Lacking a heel to get it started in the chamber, I wonder how well the REAL bullet works.
The Lee bullet designed for the revolver has a heel. That is, a reduced-diameter base that allows it to slip into the chamber mouth with ease. The bearing bands forward of the heel are progressively larger from rear to front, to aid seating it straight.
I've used the Lee bullet in my Uberti-made Remington .44 and it's been very accurate. Here are the particulars from shooting it at 20 yards, from a benchrest:

Goex FFFG – 26.4 grains from flask spout
Lee 200 gr. conical, cast of soft lead
Lubricated with Gatofeo No. 1 lube
Remington No. 11 cap, pinched
No wad beneath bullet
Group – 1-1/2 inches vertical, ¾ inch horizontal
All shots in black, about 1 inch to the right of aim

Round balls do equally well and, with my revolver, hit directly above the aligned front and rear sights. Because I'm only interested in putting holes in paper and tin cans, I don't use the conical bullets much.

Page generated in 0.02608 seconds with 8 queries