View Single Post
Old December 14, 2010, 10:16 AM   #1
JerseyDrez

Handheld light vs. dedicated gun light

I've been wanting to add a flashlight to my carbine and it seems like most rifle owners prefer to have handheld lights mounted to their guns instead of dedicated gun lights (such as TLR series, insight m4, etc), or 'pistol' lights if you will.

The obvious advantage to a handheld vs. a dedicated gun light would be the numerous uses of the flashlight off of the gun. You could still use the flashlight for work, around the house, etc, and quickly mount it to your rifle before bed. The pistol light would serve only as a gun light and nothing else. The only advantage to the pistol light is that I could switch it from my carbine to pistol, but I am using my carbine as my HD gun right now so it would stay on that.

I am caught between mounting a TLR-1s or a streamlight tl-2/surefire G2. The handheld lights will require a mount, and an offset rail which bring the price closer to the TLR-1s' $110 pricetag. I would love a high-end Surefire light but I don't want to spend that much. And the Fenix's are night lights yet I am not a fan of the bezel-twist for turbo mode (max output mode) in a HD situation.

I am leaning towards the TLR-1s, so I can dedicate it to the rifle. I like how it is made to fit/work on a gun, that it's a blinding 160 lumens, and also has a strobe function. AND it's very easy to use. I don't think I would end up using the handheld for other purposes, I'd probably just keep it on and keep on using my Surefire handheld for those 'other' purposes.

Are there any other major pro's/con's to either? What are you using and why?

Thanks.

Edit: And please don't give me the "mounting a light on a gun brings bullets to your face" or any of those things. It is very difficult to hold a flashlight in one hand and fire a pistol in the other while staying on target with both, and rather impossible with a rifle/carbine.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "

Last edited by JerseyDrez; December 14, 2010 at 10:24 AM.

Page generated in 0.03290 seconds with 8 queries