View Single Post
Old July 15, 2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Sevens

I would think, theoretically, that a heavier bullet would do better/more reliable work on any target that needs to take a hit and fall. With a paper target or a metal plate, all you need is a loud clang and you have accomplished your task. Bowling pins are an entirely different story.

If you don't need knockdown power and you only need to make contact, and you are shooting competition, your best bet is whatever load gives you the least muzzle flip. Not necessarily the least felt recoil, but whichever load seems to work the best for YOU when it comes to delivering quick follow-up shots with a very short reset time back on target.

For folks who simply plink, whichever bullet weight is the cheapest is the best choice. Doesn't always mean the lightest weight-- it depends on what your supplier produces scads of and offers at a good price.

For folks who simply practice for defensive purposes, whichever weight best matches the expensive carry ammo is the best.

In your particular situation, the answer (IMO, anyway!) is a very easy answer. Pick out a few folks that you shoot against that seem to bring the right attitude to the game and that can seem to get it done in a way that you respect, and ask them what powder and bullet they use and ask them how they came to that conclusion.

Ask a few different guys and add their knowledge to your arsenal!

The other way to accomplish this, but it much more time consuming and difficult (but very personally rewarding!) is to buy yourself 500 rounds of each weight and style bullet you can reasonably get your hands on, then grab 4 or 5 different powders and start experimenting. No doubt, this is the l-o-n-g way, and probably not the best route for a guy who needs a batch of match ammo for next week!

I would love to drop a few recipes for you myself, but I don't shoot competition and even worse? I simply haven't mastered 9mm at my bench. I haven't had the range time and components to get the work done properly. I'm finding 9mm to be somewhat trickier to build fine ammo than many other calibers.

Page generated in 0.02259 seconds with 8 queries