View Single Post
Old November 17, 2006, 09:33 AM   #5
mikejonestkd

The .454 will do just fine out to 100-150 yards...I suggest spending time shooting under simulated conditions and seeing how well you can shoot it at longer ranges.

Set up targets at 75, 100, 125 and 150 yards. from an improvised rest ( no bench ) see how well you can hit a 6" circle at that range. As soon as you can consistently hit the circle at that range then move to the further target frame and try again.

With my hunting pistol in .308 win I can hit that magical 6" circle out to 300 yards from the bench....however as soon as I step into the simulated "field situation " my effective range drops to 200 yards.

practice practice practice and the go practice some more. You will be more confident with the longet shots if you have already practiced and done well at that range.

>>>>Also, don't throw a $100 pistol scope on a .454 unless you want to destroy the scope.....think Leupold, then Burris, then Busnell 3200...in that order. Yes they cost alot but they won't break under the recoil. 2X glass is about perfect for a .454.

Last edited by mikejonestkd; November 17, 2006 at 09:36 AM. Reason: scope edit

Page generated in 0.03632 seconds with 8 queries