Thread: Range report.
View Single Post
Old May 31, 2000, 03:12 AM   #1
DAL

On Tuesday, I treated myself to an extended (for me) session at a new range I joined, the Ben Lomand Gun Club. It was fantastic! I used the 100-yard benchrest range, complete with concrete benches and a covered firing line. But the best thing about it was that I was out there all alone for 4 hours; it was like having my own private range. In fact, I never saw a soul the whole time I was there. I suspect, though, that on weekends it will be filled with people, which is one reason I'm glad I have a couple of weekdays off each week.

Now, on to the handloading part of this post.

Today was the first time I have fired my reloads for my .30-06. I worked the charges up carefully from 52.0 grains to 56.0 grains of IMR 4350 behind a Speer 165 grain BT with a CCI 200 as the primer.

As I expected, the first few loads with the lighter charges produced erratic accuracy, to say the least. The farther I went up in charge weight, the better the groups got.

Again, as I expected.

When I reached the heaviest load I made, 56.0 grains, I was able to get a 5-shot group of just under an inch (.900). Velocities were as follows: 2759, 2757, 2754, 2748, and 2767. It was the best load of the day, and, since it was getting late, I decided to pack it in for the long drive (better than 50 miles) home.

I definitely plan to try out some more of the 56.0 grain loads, and even some a bit heavier, all the while keeping an eye out for pressure problems.

What's the point to this post? Heck if I know. I'm just happy and I wanted to tell somebody.
DAL

P.S. Learn from me: Be very careful when shooting through your chronograph. Always be aware of where that muzzle is pointed, especially in regards to your chrono. I had a real scare today when, through my own inattentiveness, one of my shots hit the front guide rod and knocked it out of the chrono. I thought I had ruined it but, lucky for me, I bent the rod back reasonably straight and continued shooting. I'm glad no one saw that. BTW, the chrono. read 5300 fps for that one.

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NR

[This message has been edited by DAL (edited May 31, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03131 seconds with 8 queries