View Single Post
Old December 20, 2012, 11:19 PM   #8
ThomasT

The back edge of the barrel on a marlin has a nice sharp edge. The sharp shoulder of a SWC will tend to catch on the sharp edge of the barrel.

I shaped a round grindstone to fit through the action after the bolt was removed and put a very small radius on the back of the barrel on my 357 and 44 mag rifles. SWC bullets feed as smooth as jacketed hornaday XTP rounds.

To make the grindstone I used a round stone from the army/navy store with a quarter inch shaft. It was a little too big so I mounted it in a drill and spun it against the wheel on my bench grinder till it would fit the bolt port on the rifle.

I had an old metal fishing arrow that had an open seam down the side. The inside diameter of the arrow was just under a 1/4" and when forched in it had a tight fit. I cut the shaft to about 8" long. I chucked it in a drill and spun it on the back of the barrel just enough to make a very small radius. Just enough to break the sharp edge. That was all it took.

You will need to take the gun apart first and clean it well from dust afterward. An air hose works wonders here.

Page generated in 0.03814 seconds with 8 queries