Thread: Primer marking
View Single Post
Old April 30, 2005, 08:03 PM   #9
bergie

I was in the local gunshop today just talking with the owner. He has in stock right now a bunch of commercial reloads, bulk packed in ammo cans that he picked up down in Tulsa. I started looking at some in an open can, and probably about half had the "A" marking on the primer, the other half didn't. I asked the owner if he had any idea what the "A" was, and he said he really didn't know. He thought that possibly it was because the reloader also does training ammo for law enforcement agencies and the primers were stamped by the primer manufacturer for the purpose of keeping track of which were sold where, for excise tax purposes (ammo for governmental agencies being exempt). Over run on the training reloads, just put them in with the regular stock. Just a wild guess on his part as to a possibility and seems to make sense, but the posts of buying loaded ammo in the store with the mark contradicts it.
More likely it is just some kind of identifying code (born on date?) the manufacturer has started using. But then maybe it is a test run for seeing if they can fit serial #'s on them like the proposal in Cali. :barf:
bergie

Page generated in 0.02207 seconds with 8 queries