View Single Post
Old May 16, 2022, 07:41 AM   #10
HiBC

While there can be a direct connection between quality and price,its not necessarily so.
If there IS a $75 shoulder rig that meets all requirements,I'd be happy to hear about it. And I'm not impressed by a $500 shoulder rig that relies on a 3/4 in square of cheap velcro for retention. (Thats a hypothetical. No particular rig in mind)

Many shoulder rigs carry horizontal. My Bianchi Scorpio for one. I've been able to rationalize my muzzle is pointed at whoever is behind me with the reasoning the holster covers the trigger securely. It still makes me a little uneasy. Thats for all horizontal carry.
And they typically carry in a way that has gravity in competition with retention. If not for reliable retention, the gun is hanging in a position where it wants to fall out.
The Bianchi thumb break has been 100% secure. Whatever method secures your retention, figure you life depends on it .There is no "good" scenario for the gun falling out. Yet your draw must be reliable.
And,there is re-holstering. As your muzzle end finds the mouth of the holster, you will then shove the gun in. Anything , perhaps soft holster material,that CAN snag the trigger on the way in, likely WILL snag the trigger on the way in. Unless you take off your jacket and the shoulder rig,holster,and get dressed again. A stiff ,reinforced ,fitted holster is better that way than a generic fabric gun bag.

I'm not condemning shoulder rigs. Not at all. But its a pretty tall order to have a one-size fits all black nylon cordura elastic and velcro armpit bag to stuff a gun in hanging on the rack at BigBox warehouse for $49.95.

Its been my observation that the holster maker has to use some quality,stiff ,well designed and fitted materials and workmanship to fulfill those needs.

IMO,that generally means a make/model specific fitted holster.

FWIW, with my Bianchi,I can remove the holster and magpouch and use it on a belt. And I can swap the PA-63/ Walther PPK size holster and mag carrier for a 1911 setup, without buying another shoulder harness.

But frankly, My chest size is 54 in ,I'm near 300 lbs. The one-size fits all shoulder harness is a bit small for me. I seldom use that rig.

So,what is my point? I'd suggest ,if you want to try a shoulder rig, prioritize safe,secure carry as a make or break qualification. Nothing else will do. If you find a rig that meets "safe and secure" , then look at the price tag.

My guess would be they start around $150

Page generated in 0.02610 seconds with 8 queries