Thread: Do you grapple?
View Single Post
Old April 22, 2016, 06:58 PM   #21
Lohman446

Am I capable of grappling? Probably. I have a varied martial arts background and am versed in weapon retention. Am I going to grapple?

If I am things have gone horribly wrong already. I am not a peace officer. I am not in a position to have to arrest anyone nor should I be attempting to. I am going to do everything I can to retreat from a situation. If I find the situation cannot be retreated from effectively I am going to do everything I can do avoid grappling - Kenpo emphasizes strikes aimed at joints - if I can step through an ankle and end my attackers willingness to continue the attack that is what it is going to take.

However I have a few simple rules about unarmed combat outside of an agreed upon sporting engagement:

1) Win at all costs
2) Arm yourself as effectively as reasonable
2A) If you did not bring a weapon find one - something
3) Use overwhelming force until your attacker no longer desires to continue the attack

There is no grappling involved in my philosophy. Might it end up that way? Perhaps but if it does i have done something wrong. I have also left myself incredibly open to a secondary threat. There is no escalation of force. If I am using force I am in a moral (and likely legal) position where the use of deadly force is justified and it is my intent to use as much force as I can bring to bear against my aggressor until his or her aggressive actions cease. Retreat if possible and engage only if necessary. If you must engage see the rules of combat above.

Page generated in 0.02584 seconds with 8 queries