View Single Post
Old October 27, 2017, 07:16 PM   #31
Satchmoeddie

I sat and conversed with the last of his generation, my 86 year old uncle. He was old, legally blind, and on oxygen, but still sharp as a new scalpel. Every year he guided and outfitted from the 1950s until he got too old to guide. He still hosted hunters, allowing them to use the cabin, and having hot meals ready for them, right up until the day he died. We spoke at length about the weekend warrior modern trophy hunters. Charles had a tobacco stain running down his chin, as he said, "Yep, yearling, non-lactating doe, or cow, lactating doe or cow, then buck or bull, for the best meat to the worst." Since he was no longer guiding, and I was, I ask him, "So, how are this years wannabes doing?" He replied, "They wandered all around the meadows, long after the deer have taken to the deep brush for cover." I took a dip from his Copenhagen, and said, "Yeah, most of the clowns I drove past down south had way too much crap with them, to get back where the mule deer were. It was a really dry year, so all the deer were down by the river. My party had their tags filled before 3:00 PM and we all got back before dark. Utah had such an infestation of deer in one area they had two doe for $90 out of state license! That was my trip." Finding private or BLM land is getting harder and harder. Urban sprawl, and rural developments are making it harder each year. I am glad my best years are behind me. Now ranchers want $4000 to hunt on their land. Charles and my father fished & hunted to eat and survive. No one blocked access or demanded money back then, or if they did, it was a short lived endeavor. Kind of a FU see what happens the next time you are broke down on the roadside in winter, or need some help. Jicarilla wants a $40,000 minimum bid for trophy hunting on tribal lands. Bighorn sheep is also a $50,000+ bid to be drawn. WHT? $50,000 starting bid, just to get a tag? Better yet, how about $50,000 to be entered in a drawing?

Page generated in 0.02667 seconds with 8 queries