View Single Post
Old March 22, 2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Jimro

16 inch barrel and 22 inch barrel. Honestly you really just need one load, unless you want a lower recoil load for your wife.

Hogs and deer in Georgia, quality hunting ammo.... Search for Dan Newberry's "Optimal Charge Weight" load workup and use that method. I would make a load for the 16" barrel first, then see if that load shoots in the 22" barrel as well. If it does I'd call it good and stop.

I recommend a 165gr boat tail soft point, I like Hornady but any brand will do. The boat tail makes seating easier. If recoil is a concern, go with a 150gr bullet for your wife.

For powder I recommend a ball powder like Win748, it will meter through a Lee Auto Disk Pro much better than a stick powder, and with the double disk kit you'll be able to get consistent charges. You could also try a bunch of different powders if you really like. My personal experience running IMR4064 (a stick powder) through a Lee Auto Disk Pro was that I was getting +/-0.2 gr spread, which is fine for accuracy from most factory rifles.

I like Lake City brass for how tough it is. Initial prep is a pain, anneal, resize/deprime, decrimp, trim. But once you go through that once the brass lasts a long time in a bolt gun. Of course any brand of brass will do.

Primers, I like CCI and Wolf or Tula.

Good luck. My deployment present to myself last rotation was a Lee Pro 1000 press. I've cranked out a lot of 223 on that thing. Some may hate it but I've been well served.

Jimro

Page generated in 0.02776 seconds with 8 queries