Thread: Best brass
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2012, 09:04 AM   #8
Uncle Buck

Nate, Welcome to reloading. Hopefully you'll get to the point where you enjoy it and get your own press.

I picked up, bought and scavenged 30-06 brass for a few years before I even owned the gun.

My nephew just bought a .270 and he has gone through my scrap brass bucket and picked out about 30 cases he can reload.

If you are shooting loads near the high end or max loads, then I would say buy new brass and only reload that. You can sort your brass by head stamp, even if the cartridges are from different lots you have purchased or picked up.

Load them and see if they make a difference in your gun. I have not noticed a difference in my 30-06 between the head stamps.

(Some cases will weigh more than others. If the outside diameter of these cases are the same as the other cases, and they should be, it means the brass is thicker and the inside diameter of the case is smaller. A smaller inside diameter will give you higher pressure.)

As you can see, there are different opinions on this subject and each of us have given you the advice that worked for us.

Page generated in 0.02931 seconds with 8 queries