View Single Post
Old December 6, 2011, 04:34 PM   #16
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by .wheelgunner.
I think you might be jumping the gun re the title "killed with his own gun."

The article says,

Quote:
Authorities said they could not confirm that Tyler was killed with his own gun until they get the results of forensics testing.
Well, given that all the witness accounts indicate he was killed with his own gun, I discounted the lack of results from forensic testing; but I suppose it is possible the two 16yr olds, stole his gun and then shot him with a gun of their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Jeeper
Concealed Carry vs. Open Carry arguments are like 9mm vs .45 acp arguments, a pointless waste of time.
Well, if the idea is to avoid being the target of a gun grab, then not letting people know you have a gun is pretty much in line with common wisdom on self-defense to avoid the victim selection process entirely.

Quote:
The real lesson to be learned is situational awareness and avoiding Condition White.
I think that awareness is important concealed or open carry; but in relation to this incident, it raises some questions:

1. What would have helped Tyler be more aware of his surroundings in this incident. What do you practice on a daily basis to "train" your awareness?

2. Had Tyler suspected he was going to be attacked or even guessed a gun grab might be imminent, what steps could he take before the fight in a public gas station that would have given him an edge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casimer
Here's a follow-up w/ some more info - http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/n...in-ar-1505438/

It's not apparent that the first victim was open carrying, though it seems that his gun may have been visible or perhaps he was known to carry.
That isn't a follow up story; but an earlier (December 1) story by the same newspaper in the original link. In the more recent (December 3) story, they state he was open carrying.

Page generated in 0.03362 seconds with 8 queries