View Single Post
Old January 8, 2009, 08:45 PM   #26
Dresden2001

I would agree with the poster who suggests that there are no God given rights. There are those rights that Americans (and others) have acknowledged belong to all men, prompted by their inclusion in the constitution. They include the right to free expression, self-protection, freedom from self incrimination, search and seizure by the government, right to counsel, women's suffrage, equal protection etc. These rights are interpreted by the judicial branch, and influenced by statutes passed by the people's representatives.

One of the more influential statutes in this argument is the law that says felons can't possess firearms. I think that is a perfectly sound restriction, pretty much in the same way that I think that convicted sex offenders should register their whereabouts so that the public can keep track of them and drivers ought to have valid licenses that demonstrate their awareness of the rules of the road.

IMHO, if a felon or a dv misdemeanant chooses to carry a gun, despite legal prohibition, he DESERVES to go to jail. Those with knowledge that he is breaking the law can look the other way, but no one should wring their hands or complain if he gets caught and goes to prison. Its no different than driving under the influence or on a suspended license. Free will affords irresponsible men little comfort if they are caught breaking the law.

I don't like gun criminals. I don't much care if they are "good guys" "family men", or "teenage thugs" like Klebold and Harris. If the majority of people of this country abide by its laws wait til they can legally own guns and don't get convicted of crimes that would bar them from firearms ownership, I don't have much sympathy for those who have broken the law and are now convicted felons. Regardless of their motivation, crooks shouldn't own guns, unless and until their civil rights are restored.

Page generated in 0.02328 seconds with 8 queries